Thursday, January 12, 2012

If an olympic sprinter did some long distance running would it slow his sprint time? If so why?

Would his fast twitch type 1 muscle fibres adapt to take on the slow twitch muscle fibres?



Or would he simply only use his slow twitch muscle fibres and it wouldnt affect is fast twitch?



What if he did middle distance running ive been told that would likely turn his fast twitch type 1 muscles into taking on the role of slow twitch!?



Can someone please clear up myth from reality thankyou!If an olympic sprinter did some long distance running would it slow his sprint time? If so why?
I know of 3 types of muscle fibers: Slow, Fast, and Slow/Fast. There was an article in Mens Health Magazine about a year or two ago about this. The article expained how people used either fast or slow twitch muscles and were, in a way, genetically predispositioned. Recently, however, there have been training regiments built to train both muscles. I think it was Lane Armstrong who was used as an example. (Or was this in exercise science class) He can bike for long distances (slow twitch) but has the power to speed through or past opponents and courses (fast twitch). There is a catch though. He is one of the rare few that have both. Personally, I am a bigger more muscular guy (not tiny head big body) and so have had the fast twitch muscles until I became a Marine. In the corps I didnt sprint like I used to. Instead, I ran distances no less than 3 miles. Because of this when I try to sprint like I used to, I feel as if I have lost a step or two. In all I was (I cant run anymore because of bad knees-Airborne operations any hiking with 120 packs do a number on the knees) still fast, but not as fast as when I was in highschool.



Variable that will play a factor: Weight. In my case I tried sprinting in Iraq. There I weighted the least I have since joining the corps 175 in Iraq. 180 before and 225 AfterIf an olympic sprinter did some long distance running would it slow his sprint time? If so why?
The ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers is likely highly genetic although specific training may alter the ratio somewhat. The two running styles (sprint and long distance) send different signals to the body to support the necessary muscle mass. Long distance running requires the body to be lean and lighter weight and the body (including lungs and heart) may shrink to lose weight while meeting the required capacity. Sprint running needs specific leg muscles to enlarge to accelerate and carry the load only short distances. The two running styles have different demands on the body's metabolism which affects how body fat is used up while running (and perhaps for the next 24 hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment