Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tips for making the track team as a sprinter?

I am currently in the 8th grade and I have no prior experience in this so I want to start training now so I'll be ready to make the team for my freshman year. Please give me any tips you might have. Thanks.Tips for making the track team as a sprinter?
First of all, you shouldn't be taking ANY supplements in 8th grade. Anything you put into your body in the middle of your growth period could severely impede your natural growth. So, DON'T go taking iron supplements.



If you want to make the team, just start running. Start by running a mile at race-pace 3 times a week. On the days you're not running your mile, run intervals on a track (jog the corners, sprint the straights) for 8 laps or run bleachers or run up-and-back's on a football field (sprint up field 10 yards, jog back, sprint 20 yards, jog back, sprint 30 yards, jog back, etc, etc until you're sprinting the entire field and jogging back). The main thing is to get used to running and get your lungs in shape.Tips for making the track team as a sprinter?
I was talking to a world-class runner last summer about what I could do to be successful at the 800m. He told me to have a good distance background (cross country) and do weight training (I do push ups and sit ups almost daily). Also, my coaches have told me to take iron supplements, as runners (especially females) tend to be iron deficient. It can make a huge difference! Talk to the coaches and see if they have any advice for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment